Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Living with white Interior and a little Colour Intrusion

What makes people want to live in a completely white interior I ask myself? Is it the longing for the pure per se or is it rather a trend thing or lack of inspiration or...? I really don't know but I find it a bit creepy. It somehow reminds me of hospitals, of sterilized environment, of OP rooms (as they were equipped in the past) and of people who always want to have everything under control. Am I so wrong?

I love light rooms because I live in a country where the sun is rare. Often the weather is turning the sky into something undefinably grey and your longing for sunlight becomes an obsession. So the only chance to fill your heart with a bit of lightness is to keep your rooms light. But white without some colour infusion is not the right recipe.

On a white background you can see each little spot, each little im-perfection, each little fluff. You cannot leave kids alone in a white room, not to speak of pets and when your grand-pa decides to eat chips while watching an old film you will inevitably find the crumbs on your perfect white fluffy carpet... So not a place to really live in?

So what could happen if you just add a little colour to your white interior would be this example (of course you would still have the crumbs on your carpet but...):

(sorry - lost the original image source)

The acrylic painting belongs to the Reminiscences series, a painting series, that was created from my photo documentary about the Olympic Student Village in Munich, that has been torn down 2 years ago in order to be re-constructed.

"Blue Door"
(from the Reminiscences series)
26" x 18", acrylic
©Petra Voegtle


In order to create a kind of memorial for the beautiful and often funnily painted walls which are now all lost I took hundreds of photos from the village. But this was not enough for me - I also decided to create a painting series from the most impressive and beautiful parts i.e. walls, doors and windows. The peeling paints and especially the marks all the vines left on the plaster created wonderful patterns and structures. There is an extra photo series only about these wall motifs which you will find here.

More about the painting itself and the whole series you can find under this link .

~

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Petra, I agree with you that an all white, especially an all bright white room is, to me, rather cold and uninviting. In Budapest my walls are coloured Lime White which is a very dirty, flat and aged off white which I find sets off paintings and antique furnishings to perfection. But, without a shot of colour, white makes for a miserable interior I feel.

Unknown said...

Dear Edith,
if I had several rooms to deal with and more space I would decorate each room in a different colour. Colours have so much influence on your well being and emotions that I give them more importance than to any furniture or other object.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...